8/10/2009

Day 1


Ironic to see this big red sign as soon as I get off the plane. The characters Xiang and Jia literally meaning "Miss Home", I certainly don't need the reminder: there's 10 days left in Formosa!

The cab-ride from the airport to the "International House", (the student dormitory I'm staying in), was beautiful. Across the freeway going south, the car eventually made a steep climb passed dozens of mopeds and a few stray dogs to a yellow-brown motelesque building tucked into the hillside.

This morning I went for a short walk to either end of the street outside the IH and the view is spectacular. Since the building has a high elevation anyone staying here gets a nice view as an added bonus. I crave to jog down into the valley below to poke around in the shops, but there'll be time for that later.

Today I'm going to NCCU to meet with the faculty of the Graduate Institute for Taiwanese History. I can't think of anything more intellectually pleasing than sitting down with professionals to absorb their knowledge. Again, I've only been studying Taiwan since the winter and to have a chance to listen not only to experts but native experts on the country's history leaves me giddy. I have to admit I was the only passenger awake when we landed, panting like a doberman, a mile-wide grin on my face.

I'll be back tonight with an update and more pictures especially.

Zai Jian until then