8/16/2009

Day 3

Ah, Day three consisted of my first trip to National Taiwan University, the administrative section at least, for an interview with Professor Wu of NTU's Dep. of Economics. Another compelling discussion on Taiwan - this time from the point of view of its economic history, know to be one of four success stories in the Pacific rim.

Known as the 'Four Tigers'; Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea and Hong Kong are all known for something a global affairs major rarely encounters in his/her studies: economic development that actually worked. Something new I've come to understand is that not only did Taiwan industrialize/modernize with relative success but it was done alone, with limited natural resources, and under intense pressure from the PRC - which by the time Carter left office had become the one China the world came to recognize for the most part. (Taiwan to this day is still recognized by 23 "mostly tiny" nations)
[http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-31410420080115]

It should be said though that perhaps outside nations having limited influence on the economy of Taiwan probably helped as much as it hurt. Africa is a compilation of examples for what happens in a post-colonial landscape when those nations rollback political control but maintain economic influence. Apples and Oranges I know; but still fruit that can be harvested, regrown, or simply squeezed for its pulp.

After my talk with Professor Wu #2 I braved the clouds of mosquitos amongst the courtyard of the NTU Admin. campus to make my to the street. I decided to stick with my plan of walking towards a landmark after each of the interviews - in this case I put Taipei 101 in my sights and set off. It couldn't have gone better: block after block of hovels, stores, stands, lush fern-covered alleyways, porches and stoops encrusted with dozens of smiling Formosans playing checkers and smoking their never-ending cigarettes.

I should mention at this time just how fun/dangerous walking through Taipei is. The traffic moves with a much faster rhythm than what I'm used to in the states and the mix of homicidal taxis and suicidal scooter-riders left me feeling I could make this trip into an action movie. The massive Taipei 101 skyscraper was probably only a few miles away but navigating the streets seemed to take forever, and in the Taiwan humidity you lose a lot of water weight even walking a few blocks.

Got some decent pics of the building itself and numerous places on the way and was ready to go home and sleep by 3pm. I'm saving a trip to the highest building in Asia for later this week.