8/14/2009

Day 2 (part 1)

Day 2 began with my first attempt to manage the Taiwanese streets, with better results than my first day. My very first interview for the trip was with Professor Jaushieh Wu of The Institute for International Relations - an expert on U.S.-Taiwanese relations. I was refreshingly clear-headed going into the discussion (I'm prone to out-psyching myself, my passion getting the best of me); Professor Wu's eagerness to help me and my lil project only served as motivation.

The one setback we encountered during our talk involved a man and an electric chisel.

"So the implications of the Japanese occupation **BUZZZZZZZZZZZ** until the mid-1960s when the PRC **BUZZZZZZZ**. At this time the Carter administration **BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ**."

The IIR is located in a valley-like cul de sac surrounded on three sides by gorgeous tropical foliage. The environment, though beautiful, failed to absorb the biting sounds of a sidewalk being replaced right under us. Needless to say everyone in the building could feel it so there was no escape. The situation, though a bit nerve-racking, gave the both of us a good laugh after a while: there was a point when Professor Wu was about to answer a question before taking a sip of tea and that heaven shattering buzz rang out at just the right moment and we shared some guffaws.

I'll need to brush-up on my production skills to clean up the audio but the knowledge I gained from the interview made it absolutely worthwhile despite any interruption. I managed to snap a pic of said chisler and will post it as soon as I get a chance.